Directions to Savannah Horse Trails (275 kilometres from Johannesburg, a 3 hour and a half drive)
- From Johannesburg International Airport, immediately upon exiting, take the R21 north towards Pretoria and continue on to get on the N1 north.
- From Johannesburg, get on to the N1 north towards Pretoria.
- Stay on the N1 north, bypassing Pretoria by following the N1 north signs to Polokwane (Pietersburg).
- Pass through the tollgates north of Pretoria (Pumalani Toll Plaza) and again at the Carousel Toll Plaza. At the next set of tollgates (Kranskop Toll Plaza), exit left towards Modimolle (Nylstroom). You are now on the R33.
- Stay on the R33, straight through the town of Modimolle (Nylstroom).
- Travel 60 kilometres to the town of Vaalwater.
- At the four-way stop in Vaalwater, continue straight ahead. In two kilometres, you’ll be passing a complex with a Spar shop, a Total petrol station, the Bush Stop Café, and the Black Mamba Curio Shop. The road is no longer numbered after this point, but continue straight ahead for six kilometres until Bakkers pass Road.
- Turn left on to Bakkers Pass Road, a good dirt road. There is a Savannah
Horse Trails / Equus sign.
- Go 24 kilometres and turn left at the Savannah Horse Trails / Equus sign.
- Follow the Savannah Horse Trails / Equus signs for 3 kilometres through two gates before reaching the Equus gate.
- On entering the reserve, follow the sign to the stables straight ahead.
To go to Kololo; instead of taking the turn after 24 kilometres to Savannah Horse
Trails, you go straight for another 7 kilometres, and then you see Kololo
Game Reserve on your right hand side.